Re: [Spam] Re: Status and future of abc2ly

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: [Spam] Re: Status and future of abc2ly
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 09:33:33 -0600

On Fri 14 Dec 2018 at 17:32:59 (+1100), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> I was so disappointed with the complete mess the current abc2ly makes of
> Irish tunes from the vast repository at thesession.org that I started
> looking into this. The others mentioned that using abc2xml and then using
> musixxml2ly supplied with lilypond is the way forward. I found this to be
> logical, from the programming point of view of using a single intermediary
> interface (MusicXML), and it works great, except for messed up header
> blocks, which I just delete and hand edit.

Those strings ought to be amenable to machine recoding as they're
most likely UCS-2 or UTF-16. (Obviously bear in mind that you have
to take into account the byte-ordering.)

Otherwise, from what you have printed, you could write an editing
script to detect the string "^@ and then delete every other character
until you reach ^@" (or are about to delete a space) and treat that
extra ^@ following the space. Post-processing with a script would
save a lot of handiwork.