Re: Generate staff-less chord and lyrics sheet

From: Annette Kusma
Subject: Re: Generate staff-less chord and lyrics sheet
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 01:57:19 +0100

Hi Kieren,

thanks for your replies. Your first solution was sort of working for
me. Seems like a good idea to develop a better solution.

One problem I immediately ran into was syncopes at measure boundaries.
Assume that the information given to Lilypond is for example that a
syllable starts at the last eigth of a measure and continues into the
next measure. In a chord sheet you would want to place the chord
symbol right on top of that syllable, not between it and the next one,
which will make the sheet harder to read.

I guess, one might give directions to Lilypond in some way to to
straighten syncoped syllables, either by comparing the length of the
tone before and after the measure boundary, or by setting a certain
value, for Pop/Rock for example one eight: If a syllable stretches
over a measure boundary and the first measure contains only one eigth,
then ignore that eigth.

I am not a very frequent user of Lilypond and won't be able to
technically help develop any solution, so I will follow the further
development of this mailing thread and issue only when time allows.

Thanks all, and Happy Christmas Season!
Annette