Re: Line-breaking with non-aligned barlines - again!

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Line-breaking with non-aligned barlines - again!
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 22:00:51 +0100

Am Mo., 10. Dez. 2018 um 18:25 Uhr schrieb David Sumbler <address@hidden>:

> To recap:
>
>    3 days ago I wrote (with this subject line) that I have a passage to
>    set where one instrument (harpsichord) plays 8 bars in 4/4 time,
>    consisting mainly of semiquavers (sixteenths).  It has to be played
>    in strict time at its own tempo (4 = 108), which is quicker than the
>    rest of the orchestra is playing.
>
>    Although the harpsichord part must appear in the score, it is
>    important that it is clear that it doesn't "fit" with the other
>    instruments.  It starts at a common barline, but thereafter it does
>    its own thing, so the positioning of the notes in the score is
>    merely a suggestion of what is going on: in performance it won't
>    necessarily fit precisely as it is shown in the score, but it is not
>    expected to.
>
>    By using scaled durations etc. I can get roughly the effect I want.
>    But is it spoiled by one thing: there is a 4/4 time signature in all
>    instruments (including the harpsichord) at the beginning of the
>    passage, but there are also a couple of further time changes in the
>    orchestra only.  It is easy enough to prevent these from appearing
>    in the harpsichord part; but because Lilypond synchronises
>    everything vertically (just as one wants it to 99.99% of the time)
>    it ruins the effect.  This is because there is a large gap between
>    successive notes in the harpsichord to allow for the time signature
>    displayed in all the other staves.
>
> I have not had any suggestions as to how I might get Lilypond to set
> the harpsichord part without regard to the spacing on the other lines;
> this strongly suggests that, as I suspected, it can't be done!
> (Although if anyone knows otherwise, I'd be glad to hear about it.)

Well, you could try like below, but it has it's own short-comings:

\version "2.19.82"

\paper {
  ragged-right = ##f
}

harps = {
  \time 2/4
  \scaleDurations 8/11 {
    b16[ b b b] b[ b b b] \bar "|" \noBreak b[ b b \bar ""
  }
  \noBreak
  \override Staff.TimeSignature.stencil = ##f
  \time 3/8
  \scaleDurations 3/4 {
    b16] b[ b b b] \bar "|" \noBreak b[ b b \bar ""
  }
  \noBreak
  \time 5/8
  \scaleDurations 10/13 {
    b16] b[ b b b] \bar "|" \noBreak  b[ b b b] b[ b b b]

\score { \new Staff { \time 2/4 \repeat unfold 32 b16 } }

\score { \new Staff { \harps } }

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff { \harps }
    \new Staff {
      \time 2/4 b4 b |
      \time 3/8 b4 b8 |
      \time 5/8 b4 b b8 |
    }

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      \remove "Timing_translator"
      \remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"
      %% !!!!!
      \override SpacingSpanner.strict-note-spacing = ##t
    }
    \context {
      \Staff
      \consists "Timing_translator"
      \consists "Default_bar_line_engraver"

I'm not really convinced, thus I didn't post this before...

Cheers,
  Harm