Re: Getting context-definiton, while being in applyContext

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Getting context-definiton, while being in applyContext
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 22:29:06 +0100

Am So., 18. Nov. 2018 um 22:16 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > As a side-effect of this thread I learned that doing
> >     whatever = \context Staff \applyContext #(lambda (ctx) ...)
> > will affect Staff _and_ all it's alias. Furthermore it can be put as
> > is into \with or \layout or directly into music.
>
> All with different effect.  In \with, it will affect the current
> context, no questions asked.  In \layout (or \midi), it will affect
> _all_ context definitions of the respective output definition having an
> alias to Staff .

Which is intended, at least it's what I'd want.

> Directly in music, it will walk the hierarchy upwards
> until finding a context aliased to Staff and will affect only that.

Not sure whether this may cause problems in some situations, although
I expect only rare cases.

I think I'll add the workaround to the issue, there is none atm.
For guitarists it's a common problem, I wonder why not more people
complained about it over the years. This issue is 10 years old!

Cheers,
  Harm