Re: [ANN] LilyQuick 0.95beta - Quick note Lilypond entry using MIDI for

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [ANN] LilyQuick 0.95beta - Quick note Lilypond entry using MIDI for Linux
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:33:31 +0000

On Wed, 2018-11-14 at 16:39 +1100, Vaughan McAlley wrote:
>  On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 at 14:26, Chad Linsley <address@hidden> wrote:
> > +1 for a cross-platform of LilyQuick!
> >
> > In fact, would there be any interest in including it in Denemo

No, I think there would be no point in including it in Denemo since it
is already there (*) (if you press a duration key and play a note you
get the note at that duration, and if you play further notes they are
entered at that duration), and what's more in Denemo you can press
several duration keys in succession and *then* play the notes and the
notes are entered with the durations you assigned. In addition you can
enter dotted rhythms in two keystrokes and triplets in three, and with
all of these you can enter any slurs simultaneously by holding down the
control key while entering the duration key.
This and half-a-dozen other refinements mean you can enter LilyPond
code at several times the speed of any other method available in any
other program, commercial or free.
What hasn't been developed much in Denemo is a slick way of updating
the resulting .ly file - it could be done trivially by scripting a
continuous re-write on change in Scheme, but almost everyone using
Denemo just lets Denemo run LilyPond for them and take the PDF output.

Richard Shann
(*) well, not with exactly the same keypress assignments, though that
could be done by the end-user, as the keypress assignments are under
the users' control in Denemo.