Re: Mapping pitches to other pitches when generating MIDI files for perc

From: Wolfling Vini
Subject: Re: Mapping pitches to other pitches when generating MIDI files for percussion?
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 19:16:10 -0200

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for replying. This could really help. I'm going to look at it when I get home, but what I can tell you right now is that I've experimented with making a custom pitch name language file — not remotely resembling your solution — and I came across one big problem: it was a work-wide change that affected all staves across all included files.

This is only a problem because most of our pieces have one or two staves for flutes. So I have to keep the custom pitch names local; otherwise, every time I need to play a b, if I'm not mistaken, I'd need to type "trh" instead of "b" or "si". However, this line in your code:

drumPitchTable = #(alist->hash-table midiDrumPitches)

Makes me think your solution IS local rather than the global scope. Is this correct? Like do pitch names remain unchanged for voices used in staves where this line is not present? Sorry if the question is silly; I can't run the code you adapted or the one provided in the link right now.

Thanks again,
Vinicius

On 2018-11-12 7:22 pm, Vinicius Mascarenhas wrote:
> TLDR: I need to map different pitches displayed in the layout block /
> PDF file to a single sound in the midi block / file (like say map both
> c and a to b,) but I can’t to that to the whole staff — I need to be
> able to map other sets of pitches to another single sound. Can
> Lilypond do this?

Sounds like what could work is to define your own drum pitch names.
These would have different visual appearance in the notation but can map
to the same MIDI note.  See the following:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/snippets/midi#midi-customize-drumpitchnames-drumstyletable-and-drumpitchtable-in-layout-and-midi

Here is a adaptation of that snippet for a simple left-hand and
right-hand taiko where the left-hand marking lies below and the
right-hand above.

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

drumPitchNames.taikolefthand  = #'taikolefthand
drumPitchNames.tlh            = #'taikolefthand
drumPitchNames.taikorighthand = #'taikorighthand
drumPitchNames.trh            = #'taikorighthand

#(define taikoStyle
   '((taikolefthand  default #f -1)
     (taikorighthand default #f  1)))

midiDrumPitches.taikolefthand = e
midiDrumPitches.taikorighthand = e

\score {
   \new DrumStaff
   \with {
     \override StaffSymbol.line-count = #1
     instrumentName = #"Taiko"
     drumStyleTable = #(alist->hash-table taikoStyle)
     drumPitchTable = #(alist->hash-table midiDrumPitches)
   }
   \drummode {
     \set Staff.midiInstrument = #"taiko drum"
     \tempo 2 = 60
     tlh4. trh16 tlh trh2 | tlh8. tlh16~ 8 tlh trh2
   }
   \layout {}
   \midi {}
}