Edition Engraver in 2.19

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Edition Engraver in 2.19
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:14:18 +0100

Hi all,

just a few hours away ... ;-)
Kieren already mentioned, the edition engraver is an external library.
It is part of my own toolchain, but once made its way into public,
because it fitted a question/a use case of Kieren. So I started to make
it available. Now there came Urs' OpenLilyLib infrastructure into the
arena to provide a standard API to add and load modules to the LilyPond
toolchain.
Let me explain shortly what and why the EE is:
There where several cases where I needed a full score and parts for
instruments and choir. During a smaller first project I thought, it is
quite messy to tag overrides and breaks for every different target (full
score, part). In frescobaldi one can easily jump to the code of a single
element and than add the desired override, but I wished for a tool to
write down "in measure X at moment Y" I need to shape a slur or add a
line-break or whatever. In fact I was sitting with a printout marking
elements to tweak. Now paper doesn't do point-and-click ...
Right now my time does not allow for writing down an adequate elaborate
documentation, but I try to jump in if there are questions.
And of course I am very thankful for the text Stefano Troncaro wrote
down!
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2018-01/msg00603.html)
Thank you for bringing this up again - I have to admit that I lost the
track to place store into the Wiki of the GitHub-page.

The EE uses two coordinates to identify when and where to tweak
something. First there is the time noted with measure and moment. The
second part identifies the context, where the tweak is to be applied.
Every modification is marked with an edition-tag to separate different
targets.

\version "2.19.82"
% load OpenLilyLib
\include "oll-core/package.ily"
% load edition-engraver package
\loadPackage edition-engraver

% activate a target/edition "test" - this might also be "fullscore" or
"violinI" or whatever
\addEdition test

% add an override in measure 1 at the second quarter (it counts from
zero, so it is 1 quarters to move from the beginning of measure 2)
% apply the override to the second Voice context with edition-id
'sing.with.bach.along'
\editionMod test 1 1/4 sing.with.bach.along.Voice.B \once \override
NoteHead.color = #red

% add/consist the edition-engraver to the desired Context-types
\consistToContexts #edition-engraver Score.Staff.Voice

% create a Staff with an editionID
\new Staff \with {\editionID ##f sing.with.bach.along }
<< { bes'4 a' c'' b' } \\ { es'4 e' f' fis' } >>

I can't speak for the average user because I made it the way *I* think
about all this stuff.
And yes, there is absolutely need for documentation.

@Marten: I think if you understand the basic concept and got familiar
with the commands it can be useful even for small scores like Urs
already wrote. Of course I am used to using the EE so my opinion is
biased, but I think it is useful for a lot of (not all) tasks.

HTH
Jan-Peter