Re: Bug? \clef makes Staff disappear

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Bug? \clef makes Staff disappear
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 18:58:14 +0100

Malte Meyn <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> I’m not sure whether the following comes from my missing knowledge or
> a bug. In the code below, adding the clef makes the Staff
> disappear. Why?
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \version "2.19.82"
>
> <<
>   \chords { c }
>   \relative { \clef bass c' }

To have a Staff "disappear" it must be there first.  I don't see any
\new Staff .  \clef bass just hooks into the existing chord staff and
then c' no longer sees a reason to create its own Staff, rather using
the one that \clef bass was satisfied with.

If you want a Staff, create it rather than rely on somebody else doing
that, maybe.

--
David Kastrup