Re: Combining lyric verses onto one line

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Combining lyric verses onto one line
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 18:04:58 -0800

On 2018-11-04 2:12 pm, Rohan Srinivasan wrote:
Hi list,

I have the following code for a short song I'm engraving:

[ . . . ]

Since all 3 verses have "That's" at the end of the line, I would like to
combine them into one line of lyrics (preferably with a curly bracket
showing the change). I've attached a little picture that shows what I want
to do.

This is based on something I have used before:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

lyricBracket = \markup { \hspace #0.75
  \translate #'(0 . 0.75) \right-brace #40 }

lyricsI = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "1."
  Sam -- ple words and
  \repeat unfold 2 \skip 1
  One!
}

lyricsII = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "2."
  Oth -- er text, then
  \set stanza = \markup \lyricBracket
  shared words.
  Two!
}

lyricsIII = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "3."
  Fi -- nal line with
  \repeat unfold 2 \skip 1
  Three!
}

melody = \relative b' {
  \time 3/4
  \repeat volta 3 {
    b8 a g4 d | a' g2 | g2.

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "melody" \melody
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" \lyricsI
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" \lyricsII
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" \lyricsIII

}
%%%%

Getting the size, offset, and spacing of the brace can take a little trial-and-error.

-- Aaron Hill