Score and parts with global variable

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Score and parts with global variable
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 21:37:17 +1100

After a long time using lilypond, for solo instrumental music exclusively, now setting a string quartet for the first time and needing score and parts. I confess that I am confused about using a global variable for tempo indications and so on and so forth. Two newbie questions.

1.

In the NR template for a SQ with part this is given:

music = {
  <<
    \tag #'score \tag #'vn1
    \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Violin 1" }
    << \global \Violinone >>

    \tag #'score \tag #'vn2
    \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Violin 2" }
    << \global \Violintwo>>

    \tag #'score \tag #'vla
    \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Viola" }
    << \global \Viola>>

    \tag #'score \tag #'vlc
    \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Cello" }
    << \global \Cello >>

}

I am unable to understand why the \global information does not print four times. How does this work? The template by the way does not give example code for the \global variable.

2.

I want to have parts that also contain all the tempo indications and markup in the  \global variable. It's beyond me how to make this happen. When I add \global to the parts I get an extra unwanted staff.

I have not provided an MWE because all my code is simply rubbish at this stage and I don't want to waste people's time looking at it. I just need some conceptual guidance I think. I searched the user archives to the best of my ability and there are threads that partially touch on this but I am none the wiser.

For now I want to stick with the tag approach rather than the edition engraver, unless what I want can't be done that way.

Andrew