Re: Lutoslawski-style box notation

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Lutoslawski-style box notation
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2018 16:45:40 -0500

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 4:28 PM David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 4:11 PM Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Am Sa., 3. Nov. 2018 um 21:36 Uhr schrieb Ben <address@hidden>:
> > >
> > > On 11/3/2018 4:25 PM, David Nalesnik wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 3:21 PM Ben <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >
> > > On 11/3/2018 4:16 PM, David Nalesnik wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 2:57 PM Ben <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >
> > > On 11/3/2018 2:54 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> > >
> > > Just wondered if anyone has a working solution to creating
> > > Lutoslawski-style box repeats such as this one:
> > > https://goo.gl/images/TYKdWt
> > >
> > > I couldn't find a complete solution in either the LSR or mailing list
> > > archives. If not, I'll start putting together something probably based on
> > > the frame module from https://github.com/openlilylib/analysis, but any
> > > tips would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Mark
> > >

> > > Hi Mark,
> > >
> > > For a long while I was using the frameengraver21 but I remember
> > > encountering a bug and never being able to move past it since. I'm not
> > > sure what is available recently, but I am curious as well :) I would use
> > > it quite often if there was a boxed notation module.
> > >
> > > The solution to this error has come up several times on the list.
> > > Searching "must be type `list'" returns
> > >
> > > https://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg117642.html
> > >
> > > You can also find the FrameEngraver code in that thread.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > David
> > >

> > > Thank you David! Not sure how I missed that...
> > >
> > > Easy enough--the archives are not a good place to version-control
> > > code!  I think I finally need to put this stuff up on GitHub so
> > > there's an easy place to find the "latest" version (which I will need
> > > search the list archives to discover...)
> > >
> > > David
> > >

> > > David,
> > >
> > > Sorry to bother but I'm afraid I can't get it to work (and I didn't find
> > > it on GitHub btw)
> > >
> > > I found the section of the file to modify
> > >
> > > #(define my-grob-descriptions '())
> > >
> > > #(define (add-grob-definition grob-name grob-entry)
> > >    (let* ((meta-entry   (assoc-get 'meta grob-entry))
> > >           (class        (assoc-get 'class meta-entry))
> > >           (ifaces-entry (assoc-get 'interfaces meta-entry)))
> > >      (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? list?)
> > >
> > > ...but replacing with the code from the archive still isn't working :(
> > >
> > > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ADD NEW GROB DEFINITIONS
> > > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> > >
> > > #(define (add-grob-definition grob-name grob-entry)
> > >    (let* ((meta-entry   (assoc-get 'meta grob-entry))
> > >           (class        (assoc-get 'class meta-entry))
> > >           (ifaces-entry (assoc-get 'interfaces meta-entry)))
> > >      (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type?
> > > ly:grob-properties?) ;;
> > > NB!!
> >
> > Additionally, at CREATE NEW EVENT CLASSES replace with:
> >
> > #(define-event-class 'frame-event 'span-event)
> > #(define-event-class 'frame-extender-event 'span-event)

> [...]

And, no :(  I removed it from GitHub, because I simply do not
understand how I would license such a thing, give proper
acknowledgement to LilyPond.  It quotes code from LilyPond internals,
and before I put something up on GitHub I would need to make sure I'm
not violating the terms of LilyPond's license.

Sorry, I apologize about that.

David