Re: GrandStaff vertical distance

From: Ben
Subject: Re: GrandStaff vertical distance
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 19:38:58 -0400

On 10/9/2018 5:01 PM, foxfanfare wrote:
Aaron Hill wrote
On 2018-10-09 7:15 am, foxfanfare wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to configure a template for my orchestral works but I have a
problem with the GrandStaff vertical distance. You can take the
template
proposed in the manual to see the problem:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/orchestra-choir-and-piano

You can see in the string section, between Violin II and Viola, an
extra
space is added due to the use of the brace of the GrandStaff. (Same
problem
with the Alti group in the choir).

I have made some ressearch in scores and also in Gould's book, this is
verry
unconventional. A space is added between the StaffGroups, but should
not
appear within the same family.

How could you properly change that? I tried with:
\override GrandStaff.StaffGrouper.staffgroup-staff-spacing = #'(
        (basic-distance . 9)
        (minimum-distance . 7)
        (padding . 1)
        (stretchability . 5))

But this will move above AND bellow the GrandStaff. Here is in my score
the
illustration of the problem:
distance.png
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5604/distance.png>
I can see the same behavior given the default settings; but if you are
explicit about your spacing parameters, then it seems the spacing can be
forced to be even.  Consider the following contrived example:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

notes = { <c' b' a''>1 }
\score {
   <<
     \new Staff \notes
     \new Staff \notes
     \new StaffGroup <<
       \new Staff \notes
       \new Staff \notes
       \new GrandStaff <<
         \new Staff \notes
         \new Staff \notes

       \new Staff \notes
       \new Staff \notes

     \new Staff \notes
     \new Staff \notes

   \layout {
     \context { \Score
       \override StaffGrouper.staffgroup-staff-spacing.basic-distance =
%%%%

The default basic-distance for staff groups seems to be roughly 11, but
staves normally prefer a basic-distance around 9.  That override above
seems to be enough to make my contrived example show (nearly) consistent
spacing.

Another thing that worked was setting the staff-staff-spacing at the
\Staff level:

%%%%
   \layout {
     \context { \Staff
       \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-staff-spacing.basic-distance =
%%%%

However, this doesn't really make sense to me.  Maybe someone with a
better understanding of the internals could determine whether this is
expected behavior.  But it seems that the staff-staff-spacing override
trumps staffgroup-staff-spacing, which means one loses a degree of
freedom if you do want to adjust those independently.  Then again, all
the staves are in the same system, so perhaps staff-staff-spacing really
should apply regardless of whether or not the staves belong to staff
groups.

-- Aaron Hill

Hi Fox,

I use this override when I need to change vertical space in my PianoStaff / GrandStaff situations but they don't move anything else like you're talking about - unless I'm missing something. Does this code help you?

\version "2.19.82"
\language "english"

\new GrandStaff
\with {
  \override StaffGrouper.staff-staff-spacing.basic-distance = #22
}

{
  <<
    \new Staff = "RH" \relative c' { \clef treble c1 c c c }
    \new Staff = "LH" \relative c { \clef bass c c c c  }