Re: [HT] Hairpin left edge/accidentals

From: Pierre Perol-Schneider
Subject: Re: [HT] Hairpin left edge/accidentals
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 10:47:09 +0200

Thank you Graham.

Le mer. 10 oct. 2018 à 10:36, Graham King <address@hidden> a écrit :

On 10 Oct 2018, at 08:51, Pierre Perol-Schneider wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Please consider the following outputs (#1: default, #2: tweaked).
> Could anyone tell me what Gould says about this situation?
> TIA.

(at p.104): "Do not place a hairpin before a note is started, nor after a note is finished.  A hairpin should start at the first relevant notehead (not accidental) and end with the following notehead or at the first rest thereafter.  Good practice is to start the hairpin on the left-hand edge of the note and to finish it on the right-hand edge of a note[1] ... (If a dynamic symbol is present, the hairpin starts later and finishes earlier, so that the dynamic centres on the notehead or chord.)[2]"

(parenthetical expressions are Gould's).
[1] The illustrations make clear that the "right-hand edge of a note" implies that a "note" includes not just the notehead but also all the whitespace up to the left-hand edge of the next note or rest (or, optionally, up to just-before-the-barline).
[2] Last time I looked, lilypond had a small problem here: https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4837/

So, by these criteria, your output #1 is better than output #2 but, without seeing what happens after the middle-C, one can't say much about the right-hand end of the hairpin.

HTH,
-- Graham