Re: 3/2 unusual writing

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: 3/2 unusual writing
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2018 04:29:45 -0700

On 2018-10-04 2:09 am, Jacques Menu wrote:
Hello folks,

I’ve found this in Charpentier’s Te Deum, as engraved by the
Centre de Musique Baroque de Versailles, which I had never seen
before:

It’s quite readable indeed, maybe more than using the modern
notation with quarters, and I’ve wondered if there a way to obtain
that with Lily.

Simplest option is to use a note scaling fraction:

d2*1/2

This produces a "half note" but it has been scaled in half so it only lasts as long as a quarter note. The note head, however, will still render as a half.

The problem is that this does not let you do beaming:

d2*1/2[ e f g]

You will get an error because half notes do not support beams.

One way to get around this is to use something like an eighth note (which does support beams) and then scale it so it lasts as long as a quarter (which is what the music in question needs):

d8*2[ e f g]

But now we are back at the problem where the note heads are showing as solid. Graham has provided a way to force the note head to render however you want. Allow me to provide an alternative:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

\relative d {
  \clef bass \key d \major
  \time 3/2
  \override NoteHead.stencil = #(lambda (grob)
    (let* ((dur (ly:event-property (event-cause grob) 'duration))
(dur? (and (eqv? (ly:duration-log dur) 3) (eqv? (ly:duration-scale dur) 2)))) (if dur? (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'text (markup #:musicglyph "noteheads.s1")))
      (if dur? ly:text-interface::print ly:note-head::print)))
  d1. | e1. | fis2 b,8*2[ cis d b] |
  e1. | fis2. gis8*2 ais2 | b2 b,8*2 cis d2 |
  e2. d8*2 cis2
}
%%%%

What I am doing here is providing a function that checks to see if you are using the 8*2 duration specifically and only then adjusting the way the note head is displayed.

-- Aaron Hill