Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 16:37:28 -0400

Hi Harm,

> val = "foo"
> <<
>  \new Staff \repeat unfold 4 c'4
>  \new Lyrics \lyricmode { \val4 \val2 \val4 }
>  \new Lyrics \lyricmode { \val4 \val4 \val2 }
>>>

> Your proposal would make it impossible.

Another good example — thanks. That being said, putting a syllable in a
variable and then adding durations to it seems to me — as someone who engraves
a *huge* amount of vocal music, from a wide variety of styles, genres, and eras
— like a *much* "fringe-i-er" case than the number of cases that would benefit
from restricting \variableName2 to count as a variable name.

Regardless, it doesn’t seem like there’s much enthusiasm to pick up the feature
request.

Thanks!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer