Re: How to use magnifyStaff

From: foxfanfare
Subject: Re: How to use magnifyStaff
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 02:11:40 -0700 (MST)

Bernhard Kleine wrote
> I have now packed the magnifyStaff with the individual organ=Piano
> staffs; that worked. Thanks you to make me aware of the error with the
> pianostaff.
>
> organPart = <<
>   \new PianoStaff \with {
>     instrumentName = "Orgel"
>    } <<
>     \new Staff = "right" \with {
>       \magnifyStaff #4/7
>     } << \rightOne \\ \rightTwo >>
>   \new Dynamics = "dynOrgel" {  \dynOrgel }
>   \new Staff = "left" \with {
>     \magnifyStaff #4/7
>   } { \clef bass << \leftOne \\ \leftTwo >> }
>   \new Staff = "ped" \with {
>     \magnifyStaff #4/7
>   }
>   {  \clef bass \pedal }
>
> Am 20.09.2018 um 14:40 schrieb Malte Meyn:
>>

>> Am 20.09.18 um 13:49 schrieb Bernhard Kleine:
>>> In the following example I want to reduce the size of the organ part
>>> using \magnifyStaff #4/7. But I do not succeed. Where do I have to
>>> place it?
>>
>> \magnifyStaff should be placed in a \with block of the staff you want
>> to shrink. Currently it seems to work for Staff contexts only, neither
>> Dynamics nor PianoStaff work. Also be aware of issue 5385:
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5385/

> --
> spitzhalde9
> D-79853 lenzkirch

> bernhard.kleine@

> www.b-kleine.com, www.urseetal.net
> -
> thunderbird mit enigmail
> GPG schlüssel: D5257409
> fingerprint:
> 08 B7 F8 70 22 7A FC C1 15 49 CA A6 C7 6F A0 2E D5 25 74 09

> signature.asc (849 bytes)
> &lt;http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/attachment/216243/0/signature.asc&gt;

Bernard, if I may suggest, using magnifyStaff isn't such a good idea. I have
encounter a lot of bugs using this tool (especially with the horizontal
spacing) and I now simply use the magnification tool which works better in
every situation. Best part is you can apply it to a larger context
(PianoStaff for instance). Here is my actual configuration:

\version "2.19.81"

\new PianoStaff
  \with {
    fontSize = #(magnification->font-size 4/7)
    \override StaffSymbol.staff-space = #4/7
    %\override StaffSymbol.thickness = #1 % not necessary, but I use this }

<<
  \new Staff \relative c' { c d e f }
  \new Staff \relative c { \clef bass c b a g }