Re: Sample document to show music fonts

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Sample document to show music fonts
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 18:34:36 +0200

Am 19.09.2018 um 18:11 schrieb foxfanfare:
tisimst wrote
My 2 cents...

A font preview is a font preview and the best, in my opinion, are those
that show something in a practical context. In this case, an image of a
single or grand staff showing 2-3 bars of a marginally interesting looking
passage would be much more representative of what actual music would look
like than a simple string or matrix of glyphs, though there's nothing
wrong
with that either.
I totally agree with that. I also find better to choose a font in a musical
context.
Exactly like for a text font, one cannot see how it works if you see it
glyph by glyph, you need to see words, sentences, paragraphs...
Urs, the preview you sent looks very interesting, may I ask what this will
be achieving exactly?

In a nutshell (would take too long to explain in detail)
  • Significantly improve the "Show available fonts" dialog that so far only shows the pretty uncomprehensible LilyPond log:
    • Display real family names, grouped and sorted, with actual-font preview
    • Allow filtering by typing in a line edit.
  • Show all music fonts that are "installed" for the given LilyPond installation. The preview is what I'm asking about in this thread.
  • Remove music fonts from the current LilyPond installation
  • (Recursively) "Install" music fonts from a directory by linking them into the LilyPond installation
  • Planned: Select text and music fonts and generate the corresponding code to insert in the document