Re: Sample document to show music fonts

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Sample document to show music fonts
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 17:20:34 -0600

Hi, Urs!
On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 4:46 PM Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

Am 18.09.2018 um 21:08 schrieb Aaron Hill:
> On 2018-09-18 4:58 am, Andrew Bernard wrote:
>> Hi Urs,
>>
>> I would like to set the glyph set as per Abraham Lee's foundry website:
>>
>> https://www.musictypefoundry.com/product/mtf-cadence
>>
>> Much rather this than a piece of music. Any sample of music will be
>> irrelevant to some large subset of people. For example, my new
>> complexity
>> stuff would just annoy people, and I don't want to see a sample of
>> Brahms
>> (no disrespect to Brahms!!).
>>
>> Perhaps you could put music examples on a separate website, not in the
>> program.
>>
>> On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 at 20:52, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a nice template document that can be used to
>>> demonstrate
>>> a music font. It should not be too "heavy", and ideally it would show
>>> off the font at a glance within the space seen in the attached
>>> screenshot.
>
> Another idea: make it customizable.  I doubt there is ever going to be
> a one-size-fits-all preview template for fonts.  Of course, it's more
> work to support this, but providing you are shelling out to LilyPond
> behind the scenes to render the preview live, then allowing the
> end-user to provide a custom template would address concerns from
> folks who work in more esoteric branches of notation.

Although compelling I think this would be over the top.
a) if someone wants to see music fonts with specific music they can
simply use an existing or create a new document and test the fonts with it.
b) These sample documents will usually not be generated live but are
cached, so in 95% of the cases (except the first time a new font is
installed) an existing PDF will be loaded.

So I think I'll go with the suggestion to create some sort of "glyph
matrix", showing the font elements without context.

I think the updated dialog will be used much more regularly than the
previous one, not only because the available (music but especially text)
fonts are now nicely listed and displayed, but also because it will
additionally provide the tools to *select* fonts (i.e. create the
appropriate LilyPond code).

My 2 cents...

A font preview is a font preview and the best, in my opinion, are those that show something in a practical context. In this case, an image of a single or grand staff showing 2-3 bars of a marginally interesting looking passage would be much more representative of what actual music would look like than a simple string or matrix of glyphs, though there's nothing wrong with that either. I agree that trying to make it a "live" preview is not worth it until LilyPond can be made to run "live".

That's what I would prefer to see. Take that for what it's worth.

Best,
Abraham