Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

From: Jamie Ching
Subject: Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 08:24:16 -0600

Hi,
Your best bet is to compile from source code itself if the distribution doesn't have Lilypond. As it sounds like you're using a Debian-based distribution, check if "sudo apt-get build-dep lilypond" works; if it doesn't, you will need to install the required development packages via apt-get. Be wary that one of Lilypond's dependencies, TeX, takes up quite a bit of space on the microSD card.

There is a set of instructions as to how to compile Lilypond on the website: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/contributor/compiling
Below is a shortcut way to install Lilypond quickly. Refer to the above if needed.

Standard procedure to install programs from source code:
- download the stable version of the Lilypond source code, extract via "tar -xvf", and "cd" into the directory of the extracted folder.
- install "build-essential" via apt-get - build-essential is a collection of libraries, compilers, and other tools used to help compile programs from source code.
- run "./configure" and do install any missing dependencies (usually marked with a "-dev" at the end); keep looping until "./configure" finishes successfully.
- run "make" then "sudo make install"; the processes may take time to finish, depending on the version of the Raspberry Pi.

Hope that helps. Happy engraving.

Best wishes,
Jamie

P.S. : I've noted that the compiling link is broken here on the source code page: http://lilypond.org/source.html