Re: Shape the angle of a broken hairpin's first part

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Shape the angle of a broken hairpin's first part
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:49:39 +0200

> Am 18.09.2018 um 11:09 schrieb Urs Liska:
>>
>> Hi Harm,
>>
>> thank you very much!

>>> Hi Urs,
>>>
>>> as said before you'll need to go for the 'stencil.
>>> Though, ly:hairpin::print, the default-stencil, is coded in C++. There
>>> the defaults-heights for broken hairpins are set to 1/3 and 2/3 of
>>> 'height.
>>> Thus we need a scheme-rewrite of the stencil-procedure to reset them.
>>> Below I slightly extend a coding by David Nalesnik from
>>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2018-02/msg00181.html
>>>
>>> Btw, the rest of the linked thread is very interesting as well:
>>> Once you have a scheme-rewrite it's possible to add a plethora of
>>> other features...
>>>
>>> Back on topic.
>>> Attached you'll find David's coding. My addition is to add a
>>> 'broken-heights-property.
>>> Now you can adjust the values and call the scheme-stencil afterwards,
>>> instead of the default-stencil.
>>

>> This will work for my case - although it's somewhat ridiculous to include
>> such a massive file just to fix one graphic issue.
>> I think this is something that should be user-settable. Maybe a property
>> like yours as a native Hairpin property and/or a setting of the maximum
>> angle hairpin lines may have. The latter would also be a viable setting (as
>> opposed to minimum-length) to prevent those crippled too-short hairpins that
>> are often hard to spot. I think I'll post a feature request.
>>
>> Best
>> Urs
>

> Ah, I forgot to ask one thing: 'broken-heights is overridden with two
> values, but I don't see the second one making any difference. What is that
> about?
>
> Urs

For decrescendo the first value determines the height for all but the
last broken hairpin-end.
For decrescendo the second value determines the height for all but the
first broken hairpin-start.

For crescendo the first value determines the height for all but first
broken hairpin-start.
For crescendo the second value determines the height for all but last
broken hairpin-end.

Internally these values are multiplied with the 'height-value.

See:
{
  \override Hairpin.broken-heights = #'(0.2 5)
  \override Hairpin.stencil = #hairpin::print-scheme
  c'1\>
  \break
  c'1 \break
  s2 c'\!