Re: Cover page

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Cover page
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 00:22:20 +0200

Am 12.09.2018 um 00:09 schrieb foxfanfare:
Simon Albrecht-2 wrote
Maybe. LaTeX becomes less of a good choice the more you actually want to
design the visuals. In a scientific paper, looks don’t matter at all,
it’s only about the content; that’s where LaTeX is perfect, no doubt. If
you’re going to design a poster, LaTeX is most certainly not the tool of
choice, because you want to have total control over where everything is
placed; visuals are essential.
A cover page is somewhere inbetween, but further to the poster side, I’d
say.
Interesting. The total control of the layout is very important for me to
achieve this task.
Especially for the cover which (I agree with you) I'd like to be more of a
poster than a simple text...

That's a two-sided thing here. LaTeX *does* give you total control over the visuals, just like LilyPond does. And just like it is more intuitive and "fast" to move things around in Sibelius than LilyPond it's more intuitive to move around page elements in InDesign than in LaTeX.

The power comes for example with consistency and programmability. If you are going to do multiple editions with cover pages and want them to look consistently throughout your "house style" you will come to love the power to doing it the LaTeX way. For example I once designed business cards, which is similarly to covers something you might say is not LaTeX's best area. But I ended up with a situation where the (complete) file for producing a new card would look something like

  \documentclass{mybusinesscard}
  \begin{document}
  \card[name={Urs Liska},
    phone=0123-456789,
    address@hidden
  \end{document}

Urs

Maybe it is worth a try using LP and the markups for this... Although I'm a
little worried that no one seems to use it that way!