Re: Defining 4 \breve time in Carmina Burana

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Defining 4 \breve time in Carmina Burana
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 15:36:53 +0200

To elaborate a little on David’s response:

On 05.09.2018 11:15, Jogchum Reitsma wrote:
The first bar of part 5: Ecce gratum, from Orff's Camina Burana states a time of 4 \breve notes. In the Schott-edition I have, that is noted not on the staff, but above it.

This would be replicated in LilyPond by \omit Staff.TimeSignature and creating custom markups for the time signatures, either as \mark or inside a special context (for example using the method in http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=1010).

Is there a possiblility in Lilypond to define that time? Simpy issuing "time 4/\breve" gives an error message in version 2.19.65

This is because a duration isn’t the same as any number to LilyPond; specifically the \time command expects to be given a fraction (of numbers) (that is then internally represented as a Scheme pair). Technically, this would be 4/(1/2) in your case, but that isn’t supported by Lily, so you have to use 8/1. I have to say, it would be kind of cool to write

\version "2.19.82"
{ \time #'(4 . 1/2) \breve \breve \longa }

but that’s not how it works ;-)

Best, Simon