Re: how to whiteout an ottava bracket

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: how to whiteout an ottava bracket
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 14:18:50 +0200

On 21.08.2018 19:13, Pierre Perol-Schneider wrote:
As you can see, a stem whiteout would also affect staff and beam.

This I have to correct: normally, one can always find an arrangement so that the whiteout affects exactly those parts you want it to. In this case:

\version "2.19.82"
rD = { \change Staff = right \stemDown }
lU = { \change Staff = left \stemUp }
right = \relative b'''' {
  \ottava 2 b8 \lU
  \once\override Stem.layer = -1
  \once\override Stem.whiteout = #1
  a, \rD b' \lU g, \rD b' \lU f, \rD b' \lU e,,
}
left = {
  \override Staff.OttavaBracket.layer = #-2
  \ottava #1
  $(skip-of-length right)
}
\score {
\new PianoStaff
  <<
    \new Staff= "right" { \right }
    \new Staff = "left" { \left } >>
}

I use the development version because apparently the 2.18.2 implementation of whiteout doesn’t work in this case.

Best, Simon