Re: avoiding collisions between staves

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: avoiding collisions between staves
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 15:11:53 -0700

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 02:19:26PM -0400, Bret Whissel wrote:
> I'm having a collision problem between staves of a PianoStaff. A
> PhrasingSlur in the first voice (stems up) of the lower bass-clef
> staff slightly overlaps the eighth-note beams of the upper treble-clef
> 2nd voice (stems down).
>
> Is there a way to adjust the staff-staff-spacing of just this one
> system? (I don't want to make any vertical spacing changes globally.)
> Or can I add more padding to the PhrasingSlur or Beam (or some other
> entity) to avoid the collision? (I'm compiling from git sources, so
> v2.19+.)
>
> I haven't found a related snippet or discovered the correct recipe
> yet.
[...]

You could try to override the shape of the slur so that it no longer
collides.  Example:

    | <c a>2.
      \shape #'((0 . 0) (0 . -.75) (0 . -.75) (0 . 0)) Tie
      a~ | a4

Replace Tie with PhrasingSlur, or other such curved object in question.
Experiment with different values to the \shape command until you find
something that works for you.

May you live all the days of your life. -- Jonathan Swift