Re: What are new users to do about LilyPond PDF Documentation?

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: What are new users to do about LilyPond PDF Documentation?
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 00:06:30 -0500

On Thu 23 Aug 2018 at 10:39:12 (+1000), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Dial-up? In Australia there is no longer any such service available
> anywhere, as far as I know. Really dial-up? You can't even buy dial-up
> modems any more here. i am curious.

I'm sure there aren't that many left, but they are out there.
I know of one, for example, who lives an hour from Atlanta, Georgia,
who posted in 2015 of their getting under 1kBps at times.

For others, usage limits may be a problem. I don't know: I'm just
warning. Interestingly, Australia is more urbanised than the US.
Another factor may be the politics of how broadband is being
rolled out. Internet access, while good, seems comparatively
expensive in the US: another issue.

How awful can it be?
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/aol-dial-up-a-relic-of-the-past/
though that's probably not the best methodology.

In any case, the archive.org link was a useful one as it seems to
point to the 2.19.81 versions that are good.

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 at 09:57, David Wright <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>

> > The bad news: ~155MB download currently. For dial-up, something
> > like wget (which can restart mid-way) is almost essential.

Cheers,
David.