Re: Proprietary Software term

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Proprietary Software term
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 01:34:51 +0200

Wols Lists <address@hidden> writes:

> On 18/08/18 23:28, David Kastrup wrote:
>> zip has been defined using patentable techniques (like
>> https://www.google.com/patents/US5051745) but the implementations are
>> usually unencumbered.
>
> Just because it has been patented does not mean it is patentable :-(
>
> Of course, the problem is persuading the Patent Offices (who are paid
> based on the patents they *issue*) that the patent applications are
> actually invalid.
>
> (A file is just a big number, or a collection of numbers. Anything that
> does not involve actual hardware is maths.

As any theoretical physicist will tell you, anything that involves
actual hardware also is maths.

It's a matter of the respective degrees and aspects.

Every mail I send to this list is representable as one large number.
That does not mean that, it being math, it will never contain patentable
matter.

--
David Kastrup