Re: Barcheck failure warnings for lyrics in parallel mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Barcheck failure warnings for lyrics in parallel mode
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 21:29:37 +0200

"Galen Menzel" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 9 Aug 2018, at 0:53, David Kastrup wrote:
>
> This is what I ended up doing. It’s a somewhat unsatisfying solution,
> since it’s clearly something a machine could do. But it seemed to be
> worth it in this case, since searching for lyrics are the easiest way
> to jump to a bar without having to look up the bar number.
>
> There seems to be a legitimate use case here for suppressing warnings
> related to only one specific voice in a parallel-music expression. Is
> there a way of doing this? If not, do you think the dev team would be
> open to such a feature request?

I was musing over what makes sense doing here.  One could omit both bar
check and length check from sections only having lyric events of the
same duration or some heuristic like that.  But there are also skips in
lyrics which need to get written with explicit duration so that's still
not likely to fully do the trick.

For the bar check, the best solution would be to make them work better
in lyricsto-like contexts.  "Better" would likely mean making sure they
are not separated by a full syllable from the closest measure boundary.
No idea whether that is feasible but it would be sort-of unrelated to
parallelMusic.

--
David Kastrup