Re: New snippet: remove staff if another is alive (for wind divisi)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New snippet: remove staff if another is alive (for wind divisi)
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2018 00:09:03 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>> Well, this whole post was meant to explain my thoughts while coding
>> the example from my previous mail.
>> I expected the code to fail like my previous.
>> It doesn't.
>> Though, even after your hints above, what's the essential difference?
>>
>> I'll investigate.
>

> The essential difference is the rhythm of the control-voice.
> The code below never prints single instrument staves.
> But changing in controlDivisi
> s4 s s s -> s1
> works.
>
> Changing
> s4 s s s -> $#{ s4 s s s #}
> works as well.
>
> WTF?

Bit of a red herring here.  Those two sequences produce the same music
but the first one sets the default duration to 4 while the second one
leaves it unchanged at the previous value of 1, and the next skip then,
lacking a duration of its own, gets a duration of 4 and 1, respectively.

Same with s4 s s s -> s1 .  That's one reason why it is a good idea to
use an explicit duration for the first note of each line, making the
line's meaning independent from how the last line ended (at least
regarding the duration).

--
David Kastrup