Re: partcombine for choir and piano?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: partcombine for choir and piano?
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 23:37:34 +0200

On 02.08.2018 23:15, Noeck wrote:
My questions (and some short reasoning):

1. Does \partcombine make sense for combining *soprano and alto* into
one staff or should I use voices? I see pros (+) and cons (-):

  - The fact that I would prefer the 'apart' style everywhere makes me
    think that it's perhaps not what \partcombine is intended for.
It certainly isn’t; surely nobody ever considered vocal writing while working on the part combiner. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that it doesn’t work; since the part combiner always uses the same internal voice names, I can even imagine (without ever having tried it) that in a clever setup one could find a convenient way to flexibly attach lyrics, coordinated with the modes of the part combiner.

  = From a quick test, \partcombineApart is equivalent to two voices.
    Are there exceptions?
Don’t know about that – I’d guess not, but I haven’t used partcombine much.
  + The positioning of dynamics is better for partcombine.
    Why are all dynamics below the staff for the voices-setup by default?
I’m not sure what you mean. If there are lyrics below the staff, dynamics (and possibly a number of other things) need to go above the staff. This somewhat spectacular Breitkopf&Härtel 1961 engraving comes to mind as an example for two vocal parts on one staff, with separate dynamics and often lyrics: <https://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP367510-Reger_op.138_Acht_Geistliche_Gesaenge_RGA_vol27.pdf> But that’s extremely difficult to pull of well and if one isn’t going to invest a huge amount of time in details of placement, it’s probably better to use more staves.
2. Does \partcombine make sense for *piano music* with different voices
starting here and there?

  - Probably not as the 2...n voices are never used independently, so
    I'd be better off writing voices explicitly as necessary.

As you know, piano engraving always has its very own challenges, with which the part combiner definitely won’t help.

Best, Simon