Re: Fingering position in polyphony face to sharp glyph. Bug?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Fingering position in polyphony face to sharp glyph. Bug?
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 13:27:18 +0200

> Simon Albrecht-2 wrote
>> I went to the issue tracker so this doesn’t get lost – it seems to be
>> related to or a subset of
>> &lt;https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/3692/&gt;.
>
> Hi Simon,
>
> While the descriptive title "Fingering collision with accidentals" of issue
> 3692 more or less describes our current problem, I think this has to be
> technically separated.
>

> Fingering positions at the left concerned:
> 1. Why aren't the numbers placed below the accidental even if there's plenty
> of space?
> 2. Why do numbers above an accidental overlap?
>
> This strange effect can be perfectly explained when assuming that horizontal
> positioning is done in a state where the numbers still sit on their
> baselines and these baselines are at the height of their corresponding
> notehead.
> After horizontal positioning, these numbers will be centred vertically, i.e.
> shifted down by half a staff-space (because they happen to be about a
> staff-space high).
> This shift will make them either overlap an accidental below or create an
> unnecessary gap.
>
> I've tried to illustrate this in the following PDF:
> test-accidental-fingering2.pdf
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/test-accidental-fingering2.pdf>
>
> I think this should get its own tracker issue.
>
> All the best,
> Torsten

Hi Torsten,

I tried to Y-center the Fingering-stencil.

Though, with the example below the result is not all that convincing.
If fingerings are 'right the default is already inconsistent, for
different numbers.
Additionally, if fingeringOrientations contains 'left or 'right a
FingeringColumn is built at Staff-level, so the 'snap-radius-property
comes into play.

No real clue how to proceed...

Here my testings:

yCenterFingeringStil =
  \override Fingering.stencil =
    #(lambda (grob)
      (ly:stencil-aligned-to (ly:text-interface::print grob) Y CENTER))

mus = {
    <d'-8 ais'-4 bis'-5 d''-8 e''-8 >4. r8
    <d'-1 ais'-2 bis'-3 d''-4 e''-5 >4. r8
}

{
    \time 2/4
    \mark "Fingerings left"
    \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)
    <>^"default"
    \mus
    \yCenterFingeringStil
    <>^"tweaked"
    \mus
    <>^"snap-radius tweaked as well"
    \override Staff.FingeringColumn.snap-radius = 1
    \mus
}

{
    \time 2/4
    \mark "Fingerings right"
    \set fingeringOrientations = #'(right)
    <>^"default"
    \mus
    \yCenterFingeringStil
    <>^"tweaked"
    \mus
    <>^"snap-radius tweaked as well"
    \override Staff.FingeringColumn.snap-radius = 1
    \mus

  Harm