Re: an "odd" accidental problem...

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: an "odd" accidental problem...
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 18:31:22 +0200

Am 27.07.2018 um 16:01 schrieb Torsten Hämmerle:
Addenda et corrigenda:

I was mistaken, my example shown wasn't an example of D-sharp, but actually
D-natural. So the order of accidentals is comprehensible.

This becomes clear when taking the preceding measure (at the end of the
preceding line) into account:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/fuchs-accidentals2.png>

The original D-flat will be turned into a D-natural and from there (!) into
a D-sharp.  There is no need for a natural sign because the preceding
D-natural.
In the next bar, the first sharp seems to be a cautionary accidental
(reminding of the D-sharp in the preceding measure) with a natural directly
behind, yielding a D-natural again.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but if you mean what I think you mean, I don't think that's reasonable.

First, I can't think how a sharp could ever be used as a "cautionary" accidental in a piece with "flat"-type key signature.

Second, in the second line of the quoted snippet, I see the following:
- The 9th 16th note is d-natural.
- The 5th 16th note is different from the 9th 16th note.

These two together make it clear to me that the 5th 16th note should be a d-sharp.

Also, the combination of sharp-natural-notehead seems to make sense to me if taken as a kind of prefix operator:

notehead alone = d-flat
natural + notehead = d-natural
sharp+(natural + notehead) = d-sharp

... and then omit parens, assuming associativity ;-).

Or is this what you wanted to say, anyway?

Best
Lukas