Re: tie direction !?

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: tie direction !?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 16:02:32 -0700 (MST)

Simon Albrecht-2 wrote
> The most sensible solution to me seems to be for Tie to use the
> neutral-direction property and heed it in such cases, overriding the
> direction if it is set.

Using Harm's example, setting Tie.neutral-direction to #DOWN will just flip
everything around.
Then, the first tie is up and the second tie is down.

All this only happens for opposite stem directions and tied notes on the
middle stave line, everything is quite unpredictable and the slightest
change in spacing etc. may flip a tie to any direction.

Robert's code will react very sensitive to changes like
   \override Tie.details.note-head-gap = …
When just changing this from standard #0.2 to #0.20001, the first tie will
change its direction.

Perhaps some penalty calculations yield nearly identical results for
different tie directions so that the slightest environmental change may
result in a tie direction change.

All the best,
Torsten