Re: Hairpin.to-barline doesn't always work

From: Patrick Karl
Subject: Re: Hairpin.to-barline doesn't always work
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 20:59:43 -0500

On 7/20/18 11:32 PM, Pierre Perol-Schneider wrote:
Hi Patrick,
Try:

\version "2.19.81"

  \time 1/4
  \override Hairpin.to-barline = ##f
  a8\> b
  c'4\!
}

  \time 1/4
  a8-\tweak to-barline ##f \> b
  c'4\!

Pierre

I appreciate the advice.  Can you explain why a break, whether automatic or forced, seems to completely negate the to-barline setting:

\version "2.19.81"

\paper {
    ragged-bottom = ##t
    ragged-right = ##t
}

\relative c'' {
    c1
    \override Hairpin.to-barline = ##f d1\<
    e1\!
}

\relative c'' {
    c1 c c c c c c c c c
    \override Hairpin.to-barline = ##f d1\<
    e1\!
}

\relative c'' {
    c1
    \override Hairpin.to-barline = ##f d1\<
    \break
    e1\!
}

As you can see (I hope), the first example works as expected, but the next two examples fail in that the hairpin stops at the barline.  I have read the section of the Notation RM dealing with the to-barline property of Spanners (5.4.6), and haven't seen an explanation of this behavior.

Section 5.4.6 of the Notation RM states:

The to-barline property

The second useful property of the spanner-interface is to-barline. By default this is true, causing hairpins and other spanners which are terminated on the first note of a measure to end instead on the immediately preceding bar line. If set to false, the spanner will extend beyond the bar line and end on the note itself

I have a couple of questions about this section.  The first is, why would the default setting for to-barface be true?  If I wanted my spanner to end on the immediately preceding bar line, I could easily set "\!" after the last note of the preceding bar.

The second question has to do with the following two examples:

\version "2.19.81"
{  \time 1/4
    a8\> b
    \override Hairpin.to-barline = ##f
    c'4\! }
{  \time 1/4
    a8\> b
    \override Hairpin.to-barline = ##t
    c'4\! }

Both examples give identical output, i.e., the hairpin ends before the first barline, not extending to the first note of the second bar no matter what the setting of Hairpin.to-barline is.

How can I extend the hairpin to the end of the note in the 2nd bar?

Please answer both questions.  Why would the default be so counter-intuitive?