Some text formatting advice

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Some text formatting advice
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 18:42:04 +0000

Hi,

I need some advice on text formatting. This page: http://reader.digitale-sammlungen.de/de/fs1/object/display/bsb10527451_00056.html exposes a number of challenges that I'm not sure how to solve. The general theme is formatting blocks of text relating to full measures.

a)
The top line (headings, "Longa.", "Breve." etc.)
I think this could be achieved by attachind the \markup to an invisible voice with FullMeasureRests and centering above. However, I would like to know if there's a way of doing this *without* an extra voice which would be semantically misleading, for example when thinking about exporting the data to, say, MusicXML.

The other issue is how to force the text elements to the same vertical position. Probably this would work by putting it into a separate Dynamics context, right? but again, is there a possibility to do without that, i.e. keeping the semantic connection between the actual measure and an "attached" markup?

b)
The justified text blocks
Is there a way to somehow specify the width of a measure and have the text formatted with justification? As far as I can tell the text wouldn't do automatic line breaking, and when I do the breaking manually (by entering line by line) I wouldn't have justification, isn't it?
The width of the measures obviously has been decided arbitrarily to achieve a balance of regularity and line count of the different blocks.

Would it be reasonable to somehow set the measure width, defer the text formatting to an external LaTeX call and attach the resulting file to an invisible FullMeasureRest? But I would of course be happy if there would be an "internal" solution.

Thanks for any pointers
Urs