How to set up polymetric situations

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: How to set up polymetric situations
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 10:42:47 +0200

On 21.07.2018 09:08, David Kastrup wrote:
It’s also sensible as well as intuitive and mnemonic to address the
Timing alias here:

\set Timing.tempoHideNote = ##t
Only if you move the Metronome_mark_engraver in polyrhythmic situations.
If you don't and Timing is at Staff level...  The Midi is also affected
at Score level.

This got me thinking – the only reason not to move Metronome_mark_engraver is laziness or forgetting to do so. What if we provided a context mod identifier that performs all the necessary actions for setting up per-Staff timing/meters using just one command?

I’ve attached a proof of concept, which works fine in this example, but as we very recently discussed, it’s not a good idea to put a whole output definition inside another \layout{} block. However, I don’t know of any other way to wrap modifications to both Score and Staff contexts into a single variable…

Best, Simon