Re: Hacker Warning

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: Hacker Warning
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 17:43:55 +0100

> On 13 Jul 2018, at 16:34, Karlin High <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 7/13/2018 10:27 AM, Michael Hendry wrote:
>> I have taken steps to improve the security of my passwords.
>
> I'd be lost without a password manager. Quite a few to choose from, I can
> think of 1Password, Dashlane, Encryptr, KeePass, LastPass... various
> architectures and business models among them.
>
> Managing many hundreds of unique random passwords used from various locations
> and devices gets pretty impractical any other way.

PS see:
https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/12/ransomware-technique-uses-your-real-passwords-to-trick-you/

What is described here is precisely the message I received, with my password
for a couple of sites replaced by “X”.

If the theory that this has resulted from a corporate break-in is true, it is
odd that the email arrived on a day when I’d accessed two rarely-used sites
which shared the same password.

Michael