Re: Partcombine not working for orchestral parts?

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Partcombine not working for orchestral parts?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 10:29:03 -0400

On 7/13/2018 9:48 AM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Ben,

Currently I'm struggling to understand why partcombine won't work as I expected it to...for orchestral works, it's common to have, say 2 flutes, on the same staff in the full score but for the parts, only print flute 1 and 2 on separate parts without the other music included. (http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices)
However, I followed along in the documentation and can't figure out why my quarter note rests won't appear in voice 1, but other duration rests do appear.
To me, that looks like a bug in \partcombine.

Workaround:

     \relative { e'4( f g a) | \once \partcombineApart r4 f4 g f | c'2~ c2 | f8 f e e f r f f |r1 | f4 g g g | c c c }

Is there a way to input the notes in a better way to anticipate this 'bug' in partcombine? Or did I organize things in a clear way?
What I mean is, semantically, is there anything 'wrong' with my input for this example, with respect to the goal being at some point wanting to separate orchestral parts?

What am I doing wrong? I'm getting concerned with having to print out parts for several projects in the near future but these a2/solo markings are not functioning as I had hoped they would with partcombine.
In what way do you want the markings different from what’s printed?

I just wanted the rests themselves to appear correctly in the two voices, which I had understood that partcombine was used for :) I'm OK with the solo / a2 markings appearing, when correct, along with the rests. I was scared that since one rest somehow flat out didn't appear in the part, I thought - oh no, all of my parts won't be combined correctly and rests will not show for all other parts too...

Thanks!

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer