Re: Partcombine not working for orchestral parts?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Partcombine not working for orchestral parts?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 09:48:03 -0400

Hi Ben,

> Currently I'm struggling to understand why partcombine won't work as I
> expected it to...for orchestral works, it's common to have, say 2 flutes, on
> the same staff in the full score but for the parts, only print flute 1 and 2
> on separate parts without the other music included.
> (http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices)
> However, I followed along in the documentation and can't figure out why my
> quarter note rests won't appear in voice 1, but other duration rests do
> appear.

To me, that looks like a bug in \partcombine.

Workaround:

     \relative { e'4( f g a) | \once \partcombineApart r4 f4 g f | c'2~ c2 | f8
f e e f r f f |r1 | f4 g g g | c c c }

> What am I doing wrong? I'm getting concerned with having to print out parts
> for several projects in the near future but these a2/solo markings are not
> functioning as I had hoped they would with partcombine.

In what way do you want the markings different from what’s printed?

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info