Reusability of lilypond code?

From: lyuser . thegrue
Subject: Reusability of lilypond code?
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 13:08:15 +0200

Hello,

This time, I have a more general question:

I've set some scores for my men's choir using lilypond - and I love it
:) With the help of this list, these scores look just like I would
like to have them and our singers like to read them.

But I have one issue with the reuse of my work. My last score e.g. has
four voices (T1, T2, B1, B2). I assign music and lyrics for each voice
to a variable and combine them info a choir staff. So for our
rehearsal, everybody can see all the voices.

There are other usecases, where I would like to have only one
voice per staff. I can do that with lilypond, of course, by reusing
the variables that I created before.

Now comes the problem:

For the "one voice per staff" solution (and for midi files, by the
way), the single voices have to be annotated with all "bells and
whistles", like dynamics, for example.

But for the "four voices per staff", all the annotations would pile
up (one 'p' above the other 'p' for the two tenor voices, for example)
and with all the duplicated dynamic, hairpins, markup, the score would
become unreadable.

What I would like to have is a simple switch in lilypond that
hides the duplicated markup, so that I can use the same variables for
both use cases.

Frescobaldi provides some tools to remove the markup from a
selection. That is not what I want, because it creates two versions of
the music. Not good, they will diverge.

I've searched this and other lists and there seem to be solutions, but
they are too complicated for me: I don't understand them and they
never worked for me....

Can you help me this this problem?

cu--
Markus Grunwald