Re: Font trouble when compiling via Windows Subsystem for Linux

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Font trouble when compiling via Windows Subsystem for Linux
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 14:52:12 -0700

On 2018-06-16 20:08, Brent Annable wrote:
Hi all,

Some of you may remember my memory allocation error from a while ago:
trying to compile a 200-page PDF using a 32-bit version of Lilypond on a
64-bit Windows 10 system caused it to run out of memory. I eventually
solved the problem by running Lilypond under the Windows Subsystem for
Linux (WSL), but now I have a notation font problem.

I have successfully installed and used several notation fonts (Ross, Haydn, Sebastiano, etc.) on my Windows installation of Lilypond, but now when I compile under the WSL it says "fatal error: cannot find font: 'ross-11'". I
have copied the relevant font files into the following directory:

C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Packages\CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows_79rhkp1fndgsc\LocalState\rootfs\usr\share\lilypond\2.18.2\fonts\otf
(and svg as well)

Couple of things... You must *never* write directly to the Linux file system via that path. See the following:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2016/11/17/do-not-change-linux-files-using-windows-apps-and-tools/

The correct way is to navigate to the Windows partition that is mounted by default at /mnt/c/ and copy the files that way. It's incredibly counter-intuitive and stupidly annoying, but the link above covers the reasons why it is what it is.

Next, in terms of fonts, you should be copying the fonts to /usr/share/fonts/truetype or /usr/share/fonts/opentype and then run `sudo fc-cache -f -v`. You will most likely need to install the tool with `sudo apt-get install fontconfig`. That at least is the standard Ubuntu way to do it:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/18357/how-to-install-otf-fonts

I tested this with a couple of fonts from Font Squirrel, both TTF and OTF. Note that I had to make the /usr/share/fonts/opentype directory since it did not exist.

So, in the event that you want to stick with WSL, hopefully that helps.

-- Aaron Hill