Re: Dynamics not centered

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Dynamics not centered
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 16:12:24 -0400

On 6/16/2018 3:21 PM, Torsten Hämmerle wrote:
SoundsFromSound wrote
Can someone tell me why the dynamics marking is not centered (like the
default) when using it as a 'compound' command/variable markup?
Hi Ben,

That's because your declaration is a TextScript markup, and by default, a
TextScript will be set flush left-aligned.

"Real" dynamics will be defined by make-dynamic-script, like in

ppdolce =
#(make-dynamic-script
  (markup #:line
          (#:dynamic "pp"
           #:normal-text #:italic "dolce")))

or
ppdolce =
 #(make-dynamic-script
  #{ \markup { \line { \dynamic "pp"
                       \normal-text \italic "dolce" } }
  #})

Positioning isn't quite easy if additional texts as "dolce" or "sempre" or
"poco a poco" are there (just centering will move the pp too far away from
where it should start.
Several possibilities and examples can be found in snippet
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=393

HTH,
Torsten

Thank you, that is exactly what I was after - now it makes sense.

[...]

Here a longish thread which discusses it in depth, some code of mine
trying to deal with the problems there as well.
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/improving-Janek-s-dynamic-function-for-combo-dynamics-td205071.html

Cheers,
  Harm

Harm,

Thank you for the thread, lots of great info in there!