Re: questions in regards to combining multiple parts

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: questions in regards to combining multiple parts
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 18:15:28 +0000

From: <address@hidden>
Date: Friday, June 15, 2018 at 11:19 AM
To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>

After looking and not finding much, on top of asking in the mailing list
without much return, I have a few questions in regards to \partcombine

- Considering a number of scores have an odd number of instruments combined
(i.e. 3 Trumpets, 3 Clarinets, etc.), why partcombine only works on an even
number of parts? Shouldn't partcombine work on *n* number of parts instead?

Perhaps it should, but it doesn’t.  As written, partcombine only works on two
voices.  Combining parts is quite challenging, really, and I think we are
fortunate it works as well as it does.

- If you can only combine two parts, how you get things like the usual "1,2",
"a3", "2,3", "1,3" and similar to work and print properly? If you chain two
partcombines, there's no third part, so "2,3" is impossible to ever print, let
alone "a3" or "1,3".

Manually adding them to the score.

- If, instead of partcombining the parts, you make them separate voices of a
single staff, how you get the markups mentioned before to print in the combined
staff without making them be something inside one of the parts?

Add a fourth voice to the score that contains only spacer rests and the part
markups.

\version "2.18"

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice {\voiceOne a' b' c'' g'}
  \new Voice {\voiceThree f' g' a' \voiceOne g'}
  \new Voice {\voiceTwo d' e' f' \voiceOne g'}
  \new Voice {s s s s^\markup{\bold "a3"}}