Re: Lilypond crashes while drawing systems

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lilypond crashes while drawing systems
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 13:37:11 +0200

Lukas-Fabian Moser <address@hidden> writes:

> Folks,
>
> I seem to have managed to create a Lilypond file that crashes my
> system (Linux Mint 64-Bit with kernel 4.4.0-98-generic) so hard that I
> have to shut it down using the power button. Even a bash script in
> background that kills the Lilypond process every few seconds cannot
> rescue reliably. :-( The system hangs while "Drawing systems"
> ("Systeme erstellen" on my pc).

That sounds like exploding memory usage.  Try using the ulimit command
for limiting the memory usage per process to something quite lower than
your physical memory and have some swap space available so that dormant
processes can be temporarily moved out, not contributing to the memory
pressure that much.

--
David Kastrup