Re: Lyric line's vertical position is shifting from one staff system to

From: dfro
Subject: Re: Lyric line's vertical position is shifting from one staff system to the next.
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 21:02:34 -0400

On 6/7/18 5:19 PM, Thomas Morley wrote:

It seems like Verses2, 3, and 4 are looking down when using the padding
variable. How can I get them to look up to the verses and staff above? The
command - \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity = #UP - does not change
the looking down behavior for the padding variable.
As a general rule: all vertical spacing is done looking down.

For  something like

staff1
lyrics1
lyrics2
lyrics3
lyics4
staff2

looking down for spacing is sufficient, isn't it?

There is one exception (more for conveniance, I believe):
Under certain conditions `nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing' looks up.
Read NR about it.

I know you did already, but spacing is very complicated, I still read
it my self again and again.
Sometimes I think we made it too complex.
Ok, withdraw "sometimes"...

Anyway, in the following example I do have full control about any
spacing, I believe.

lst =
#'((basic-distance . 0)
    (minimum-distance . 0)
    (padding . 10)
    (stretchability . 0))

\new ChoirStaff <<
     \new Staff
       { c''1 }
     \new Lyrics
       \with {
         \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing = \lst
         \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing = \lst
       }
       \lyricmode { "lyr1" }
     \new Lyrics
       \with {
         \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing = \lst
       }
       \lyricmode { "lyr2" }
     \new Lyrics
       \with {
         \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing = \lst
       }
       \lyricmode { "lyr3" }
     \new Lyrics
       \with {
         \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-unrelatedstaff-spacing = \lst
       }
       \lyricmode { "lyr4" }

     \new Staff { c''1 }

Cheers,
   Harm

Harm,
Eureka! I get it! Thank you for your generous and kind assistance.

In my humble opinion, I think the direction that nonstaff elements are looking is a very important foundational concept that should be included in the Notation Reference documentation, the Internal Reference, and perhaps even the Learning Manual, and some snippets could be added to the Snippets Library (like the beautiful one you wrote in this email). I would also like to suggest that the ability to choose which direction nonstaff items are looking could be added to future versions of LilyPond. Perhaps, there could be an UP/BOTH/DOWN setting that modifies the behavior of which way the VerticalAxisGroup properties are looking, i.e.:

\override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing-direction = #UP

If the concepts are explained clearly in the (wonderful!) documentation, then I think this added complexity and functionality would actually reduce confusion. Of course, take or leave. However, I think confused nobodies, like me, can be a good resource for finding ways to make this software more elegant. I have had some of my greatest musical insights trying to explain music to beginners.

Peace,
David