(OT) Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: (OT) Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 20:03:53 +0100

On 01/06/18 14:43, David Kastrup wrote:
> Nicholas Bailey <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Nice thought, but I suspect a little close to the wind.  In the end I've
>>> installed MuseScore both on my machine and his laptop.
>>> Regards,
>>> Martin
>>
>> Glad you got a resolution.
>>
>> Actually, our group's music prof has a load of stuff he wrote years back on
>> Sibelius 5 which, fortunately, mostly runs under Wine. Since he owns a copy
>> he
>> can use that. It was a royal PITA trying to get Sibelius to issue an
>> authorisation code! I don't think more modern versions work under Wine, but
>> I've not looked into it for a while.
>>
>> I think he's really got the message that using proprietary solutions is
>> effectively handing your work over to the software producers. There's lots
>> of
>> lilyponding going on here now :)
>
> To be fair, non-proprietary (and human-mungeable) export formats like
> MusicXML at least give you a bit of a handle on your own work.
> Proprietary binary formats are sort-of final when you lose access for
> some reason.

(OT) I can remember putting up a paper, maybe 25 years ago, pointing out
that archives should always include a simple text version of the word
processed file.  We had similar problems with old executables that
people hadn't preserved the source for.  (back on topic) That's what is
so nice with Lily, ASCII text is pretty future proof.