Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius

From: Nicholas Bailey
Subject: Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 13:33:54 +0100

On Friday, 25 May 2018 22:09:31 BST J Martin Rushton wrote:
> On 25/05/18 10:52, Nicholas Bailey wrote:
> > On Sunday, 22 April 2018 12:26:01 BST J Martin Rushton wrote:
> >> What is the current state of play for converting between Sibelius and
> >> Lily?
> >>
> >> My elder son uses Sib at university, but has to travel in (40 miles) to
> >> log into one of their machines.  I run Lily/Frescobaldi at home and it
> >> would be useful to be able to let him work at home and take it in to
> >> uni, and conversely print off uni work at home.  I assume the uni
> >> machines are WinBoxes, we run Linux and Windows at home.
> >
> > Any chance the university offers a VPN facility? Could he get a
> > site-licensed copy and run it at home using that? Whether or not that's
> > "legal" depends on the exact terms of the license I suppose. I could go
> > off on a "why do you want to do that??" rant, but it's been done already
> > ;)
> >
> > NJB/.
>
> Nice thought, but I suspect a little close to the wind.  In the end I've
> installed MuseScore both on my machine and his laptop.
> Regards,
> Martin

Glad you got a resolution.

Actually, our group's music prof has a load of stuff he wrote years back on
Sibelius 5 which, fortunately, mostly runs under Wine. Since he owns a copy he
can use that. It was a royal PITA trying to get Sibelius to issue an
authorisation code! I don't think more modern versions work under Wine, but
I've not looked into it for a while.

I think he's really got the message that using proprietary solutions is
effectively handing your work over to the software producers. There's lots of
lilyponding going on here now :)

Nick/.