Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 186, Issue 108

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 186, Issue 108
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 14:00:52 +0100

On 22/05/18 21:11, Arle Lommel wrote:
lmost right, but doesn’t function quite as Hindemith’s
> notation does:
>
>   * The Hindemith editions use time signatures /both/ above and in line,
>     but never at the same time. They serve different purposes. The
>     snipped removes the ability to do the in-line time signatures
>     because the time signature engraver is removed from the main staffs.
>     Easy enough to put in, but then I need to brush up enough to
>     selectively control where a time signature appears
>   * Hindemith also limits the effect of a superior time signature to a
>     single measure. The following measure reverts (with nothing
>     displayed) to the original meter. So replicating the Schott practice
>     would mean also hiding the time signature following such a measure.
>

> But this is very useful as a suggestion of an approach. Maybe I can find
> a way to selectively hide/show time signature changes in each context to
> get what I want.

Another possible approach, for the temporary time changes, is can you
display the new time signature without actually setting it? (Ie if the
piece is in 2/4, you display 3/4 but lilypond still thinks its a 2/4 bar
as before with no change.

Then just use \times 2/3 {} for that bar so the notation displays correctly.

Okay, that won't work for midi, but for scores it might be a good solution.

Cheers,
Wol