Re: Several questions concerning scheme-music-function

From: Robert Schmaus
Subject: Re: Several questions concerning scheme-music-function
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 11:49:16 +0200

Thanks Aaron,

it's rather on-topic I guess. Or rather: I'm afraid.

In your first link, there's a sample chapter of "The Little Schemer" available. You'd think that they would put something up that's acutally helpful at getting the idea of Scheme and/or that book. And maybe that even was their intention! But ... can you make any sense of this?

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/BTLS/sample.pdf

I certainly can't.

I guess my problem is: Scheme seems to be a very nice intellectual exercise. I'm sure it's very elegant and - ultimately - very powerful (as I can see in the snippet repository) but it's also very unlike everything that's used normally. But Scheme is near impossible to read and therefore also to write.

There was a discussion about Scheme vs other languages a couple of years back. I can't find the start of that thread, but this is part of it:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-06/msg00185.html

From that thread, I take away the comfort that I'm not the only one with Scheme-problems. Now, I can live with that - most of the times I don't have to customise anything anyway. It's just, that with Scheme, I know, I'll never get into it, too.

Ok, thanks again for the references. I think for now, I simply stay within the "out of the box" Lilypond limits. I'd have to invest hours of learning Scheme - that's not an option for the near future, I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Robert