Re: naming a glyph

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: naming a glyph
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 14:35:21 -0700

On 2018-05-23 13:25, Freeman Gilmore wrote:
The ez way is to picture a peace of music with accidentals then replace
them with microtonal accidentals, but of a different design than what is out there. I have several ideas for the design of each glyph, I know what
I want them to abdicate, and I want them to be more intuitive (no
memorizing).

Thank you,
ƒg

Hi Freeman,

Now that you have mentioned microtonality more clearly--I admit I was confused by your original request, thinking only that you wanted to change the look of an existing accidental--would the following information be of any use to you?

http://x31eq.com/lilypond/

In particular, the section on accidentals mentions that you can define your own alist of symbols that correspond to fractions of wholetones. You should be able to use `ly:make-pitch` to define the microtones as you need them. It should even be possible to follow the example in `define-note-names.scm` to define your own language so you can more easily specify the accidentals. Then you could theoretically use these new notes in a normal fashion:

%%%%
  \version "2.19.81"

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      \override Accidental #'glyph-name-alist =
        #'((2/3 . "accidentals.natural.arrowup")
           (-3/5 . "accidentals.mirroredflat.backslash"))

  #(set! language-pitch-names
    `((custom . (
      (xu . ,(ly:make-pitch 0 3 2/3))
      (xd . ,(ly:make-pitch 0 3 -3/5))
      (yu . ,(ly:make-pitch 0 5 2/3))
      (yd . ,(ly:make-pitch 0 5 -3/5))
      (zu . ,(ly:make-pitch 0 7 2/3))
      (zd . ,(ly:make-pitch 0 7 -3/5))
    ))))

  \language "custom"
  { xu4 xd8( zu yd) zd~ zd2 }
%%%%

You would of course still need to add your custom glyphs for accidentals in the font. In the example above, I just borrowed two of the accidentals and mapped them to the two-thirds up and three-fifths down pitches. But ultimately that is where the binding between pitch and glyph happen.

-- Aaron Hill