Re: spacing of gracenote beams

From: Amy McGlothlin
Subject: Re: spacing of gracenote beams
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 16:19:57 -0400

Thorsten,

You're the best.  This works beautifully. I've been able to not only fix the grip but also the b and c doublings and the taorluath as well.

Thanks so much, once I get all the embellishments the way I want them, then I will send out a revised bagpipe.ly to folks.

Amy

On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 5:20 AM, Torsten Hämmerle <address@hidden> wrote:
Amy McGlothlin wrote
> Is there something I can adjust to make the spacing of the stems
> of the gracenotes equal in this case?

Hello Amy,

While, as Andrew pointed out, grace note beaming in general may leave
something to be desired, the special bagpipe grace ornaments are a case of
their own:
Each of them has been specially defined in bagpipe.ly and I agree that the
spacing of \grip isn't very balanced because the second G "slips" below the
d far above.

But, fortunately, this can be corrected by just providing a custom
definition of \grip: when applying some extra \stemspace, everything can be
shifted to obtain a more balanced look. This has been done in some standard
definitions, it hasn't been done for \grip, though.

After including "bagpipe.ly", you can change/add whatever you want, e.g.:

  grip  = { \pgrace { G32[ \stemspace #'(0 . 0.4) d G] } }

\stemspace in this case just adds a bit of space to the right of the middle
stem.

And that's what it looks like (comparing n the original/adapted spacing):

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/bagpipe-grace.png>

Beannachtaí,
Torsten